22 December 2004

Happy Birthday!

Birthday wishes to Jerry Pinkney, who turns 65 today.

Mr. Pinkney has been beautifully illustrating children's books for more than 35 years. He has the rare distinction of being the recipient of five Caldecott Honor Medals -- for Mirandy and Brother Wind by Patricia McKissack in 1989, The Talking Eggs by Robert D. San Souci in 1990, John Henry by Julius Lester in 1995, The Ugly Duckling by Hans Christian Andersen in 2000, and Noah's Ark (which he also wrote) in 2003.

In addition, he has received the Coretta Scott King Award five times and a Coretta Scott King Honor Award twice. Many of his books have been cited as notable books by the American Library Association and the National Council of Social Studies/Children's Book Council.

I love that Mr. Pinkney has said, "Books give me a great feeling of personal and artistic satisfaction. When I'm working on a book, I wish the phone would never ring. I love doing it. My satisfaction comes from the actual marks on the paper… when it sings, it's magic."

His books are magic. Many thanks and best wishes for the year ahead!

No comments: