06 August 2004

ouch!

So, a study was done of the most literate cities in the US and Chicago didn't make the top ten. In fact, overall, we rank a shameful number 58. In libraries, Chicago ranked even lower.

I have to confess that I am shocked. While I didn't neccessarily expect us to make the top ten, I didn't think we'd rank so low! What about the Chicago Public Library? One book, one Chicago? Printer's Row? Oprah's book club? What about Daley's commitment to the public libraries? He has said, "By investing in libraries, we invest in the most important mission we have today--the education of our children."

I am shocked and saddened and, honestly, I feel personally offended by the results of this study. Now, what part will I play in turning things around? Something for me to think about.

No comments: