29 December 2004

Disaster Aid

Amazon will allow customers to give directly to the Red Cross via their web site. Money seems like such a teeny, insubstanstial thing to do in the face of so much suffering, but I guess all our pennies add up.

I have no other words to say about the tsunami. I feel so overwhelmed with the images and news coming our way that I cannot articulate my sorrow. I cannot begin to imagine what it must be to have been there or to have family and friends there.

After a child asked for a book on tsunamis yesterday, I put up a display of news photos and headlines (nothing too graphic -- it is a children's department after all) with all of our books on tsunamis, floods, earthquakes, and natural disaster, along with books about the countries so devastated by this horror. I saw some girls looking at the display and leafing through a book on Malaysia a little while ago. If this helps us to realize that we are all part of the same human family, maybe at least some sliver of good can come from it?

No comments: