14 March 2004

Help me!!

I am calling on your collective wisdom to HELP ME with this book!

My library recently got in three picture books by Francesco Pittau. I cannot, for the life of me, remember where I read about these books, where I saw the reviews. I must have seen it somewhere.

I have a pretty high tolerance for yucky stuff. I have never ever, in my whole life, come across a book I have honestly thought should be kept out of the library. Never. I have read books that have deeply disturbed me. I have read books that have seemed to have absolutely no merit whatsoever, literary or otherwise. Still, I didn't think any of them should be kept off the shelves.

And now I am torn.

Most of That's Disgusting, I can get behind. Washing your feet in the toilet? That is disgusting. Making sculptures out of poo? That's disgusting, too. Ditto to eating soap and playing in the litter box. Eww! Disgusting!

But. "Sticking your finger in the cat's behind?" (Yes, IN.)

That's not disgusting. That's disturbed.

I never knew where the mythical line was, but I think it is clearly crossed here. The charming art that reminded me of Lane Smith and made me laugh? Somehow, amazingly, it wasn't funny anymore when the cartoon child's little finger was aiming at the clearly delineated place he could stick it in the cat's behind!

I do NOT want to be a censor. On the other hand (the one far, far from the cat's bottom, thank you very much!), there is no way I find this appropriate even for our YA collection. Sexual violation of household pets? Not funny.

SO. This really should be a no-brainer, shouldn't it? I should just get over the worry of censorship and send the book back, right? But I really like the art and the rest of the book. Is it better to send it back, perhaps with a letter explaining why this book is not appropriate? OR... can I grab my trusty gluestick, glue those pages together, and be done with it?

I feel like I really shouldn't be this conflicted... Anyone? Opinions?

No comments: