05 March 2004

Kat in the Hat

So today I was to go read Dr. Seuss stories at one of the local grade schools. I wore jeans, a red tee-shirt with the Cat in the Hat fish saying "Don't make me come over there!," red Chuck Taylors, a blazer, and a Cat in the Hat hat. (Normally, I wouldn't go into detail to tell y'all what I wore, but it seems to have been an especial hit today!)

Another reader came at the wrong time -- my time -- so the librarian asked if we would mind sharing the time, each read one story instead of two? No problem. The other reader was a school official, so he was gonna go first.

As the kids filed in, they all saw me and waved. One little boy with cp ran as quickly as he could to me. I saw him coming, crouched down, and got the best hug I have had for a while. A group of third graders were pointing at me and whispering, "Look! It's Dr. Seuss!" One of them, goaded by his pals, finally got up the nerve to come ask me if I was the Good Doctor. I said, no, Dr. Seuss couldn't be there today, so we were going to read his stories for him. That satisfied the boys.

Finally, the kids were settled and it was time for the other reader. Naturally, he chose The Cat in the Hat. I don't want to go into -- ahem -- catty detail. Suffice it to say, I had never been bored by that book before today. He took the full thirty minutes to get through the book, so I am going back this afternoon to read.

On the way back to work, I went to the post office for stamps. The Seuss stamps are gorgeous! A woman came in after me and told me her kids "went nuts" when they saw me go into the post office, yelling, "Look! It's Dr. Seuss!" Hee. She asked if I would come out to the car and say hi to them. I did, and they promised to visit the library in the near future.

So, I get to go back out this afternoon.

Sometimes life is so sweet I can scarcely bear it.

No comments: