21 February 2004

do not leave children unattended


In the amazing Printz honor book, Keesha's House by Helen Frost, is a poem that reads, in part:

" ... There's a sign
in there: DO NOT LEAVE CHILDREN UNATTENDED IN THE LIBRARY.
I know there's younger kids than me who use the sink in that stall
like I do. I keep my eye on them. I try to listen
to adults that talk to them, especially in the rest room. Last week, I had
something creepy happen when I was combing my hair.

"A guy made a comment about my gorgeous red hair,
which is nothing new. But right after that--the first sign
of something weird--he asked if he could have
a picture of me. I got out of there fast. When the library
was about to close, he left the same time I did....

" ... The library
should be a safe place, and if a kid needs a place to comb his hair,
just let him be...."

No comments: