05 February 2004

Lovely surprise

Our local school has the worst, most horrible Black History trivia assignment I have ever seen. Ever. It took me almost five hours to complete the darned thing tonight. I have been trained to find answers. The kids who get this assignment are in grade school. 130 questions, some of them not even making sense. For example, they ask who won the Nobel Peace Prize in 1948 Well, it would have been Gandhi, but he was killed so it went to no one. Ralph Bunche -- the answer they're looking for -- won in 1950.

Damn.

So, I'm working on this thing and a small voice says, "Did you work at [insert my old library here]?" I look up and it's Mario! One of my favorite patrons from my Former Library! Yay!

We hugged and chatted and caught up. Right after I quit, his family moved to the community my new library is in. He is a sweet, smart child, who loves to read almost as much as I do. He is particularly enamored of the Harry Potter series. Last summer, when I had a Harry Potter writing contest, Mario spent hours at the computer, working on an outline for a new books that would have run 50 chapters or more! (I talked him into a shorter story, since he was stressing out big time over not finishing in time.)

Anyway, I have one of "my" kids back.

Calloo Callay! I chortle in my glee.

No comments: