13 April 2004

Poor Henry...

So, this woman just came down asking for books about my beloved Henry Thoreau. I, of course, got excited and started talking about him.

This led to much mocking. Actually, the woman who originally needed the book didn't give a fiddler's fart about dear Henry. She was taking a class and was not pleased she had to read him. Blah.

My Super Page didn't know who he was, so I was telling her how incredible he is, that Walden was the best book ever. Yes, even better than Lewis Carroll.

I spoke about Civil Disobedience and how he inspired Gandhi and Dr. King. I confessed that I want to one day name a son Henry. I told Super Page that I had a poster of early American authors, including Henry, in my room.

I revealed my extreme geekiness.

I don't care. I am a book geek and I don't care who knows it!

We had one other patron down here who laughed at me. She said that she thought she loved books, but I had her beat. I told her that I know I'm a book geek, that I even sojourned to Concord a few years ago to absorb the literary energy.

I think I really entertained her. On her way out, she was laughing and said, "She's gonna name her baby Henry!"

Sigh.

Well, I guess if I am to be mocked, it could be for worse things...

No comments: