28 April 2004

Well, it didn't *use* to be personal...

So, I need to vent. I try not to do that here, so please excuse this exception.

I quit job #2. This morning, my previous boss (she of no MLS), called me at job #1.

She basically accused me of looking through the administrative assistant's files to find out her educational background and said she was about to fire me anyway; I just beat her to the punch there. In fact, she suggested that I only quit because I had heard she was planning to fire me. (This really fascinates me since when I told my supervisor I had to quit he made a point of emphasizing how highly she thought of me, how she commented on the way staff and patrons both had mentioned to her what a good librarian I am.)

She also insisted that she is totally honest about her background and has never claimed to be a librarian. I told her that, yes, she did; I have heard her at meetings and saw it in print in the library newsletter.

I told her (before her accusations began) that this was not personal. I told her that she seemed like a nice lady, but I had a problem with the fact that she does not have an MLS. I even used the school teacher analogy and told her that whomever the board hired, if that person didn't have an MLS, I would have quit. It truly wasn't personal.

Now it really is. Now I am feeling some pretty ugly feelings in my heart toward this ugly-spirited woman...

I just feel a bit beat up. But... I've lived through worse and I don't have to go back, so I guess it's all good. I just hate confrontation. I hate that she made me cry (after I hung up, and not a lot). And I *hate* that I was so surprised by her call that I wasn't prepared to fight back more...

Sigh.

No comments: