20 May 2005

Tragedy in Turkmenistan!

President Saparmurat Niazov has banned public libraries in Turkmenistan! Eek!

His explanation? "No one goes to libraries and reads books anyway."

The president said libraries are unnecessary as most books that Turkmen need - many written by Niazov himself - should already be in homes, workplaces, and schools. "To read all these books it is not necessary to go to the library as all these books should be close at hand for everyone," Niazov said.

I don't even think I have words for this. Not be be overly dramatic, but I think I might die if I did not have a public library to frequent! I mean, I literally cannot fathom having a life devoid of books, magazines, audio-visual goodies, and all the other treasures found in most libraries.

Read more about his horrific decision here.

1 comment:

Carlee said...

holy shit! that's completely dumbfounding. you know what it is, though. knowledge is power and if you restrict what people learn, you restrict most of what they think. the dumber the people are, the easier to control--perfect example is how Bush got re-elected. =) *is raging passion about importance of knowledge and education*