08 January 2004

Award Anticipation

Let me preface this by saying that I have NEVER been right about what books might win one of these prestigious awards, except for the year that Christopher Paul Curtis won the Newbery Medal for Bud, Not Buddy. At that point, though, it was a small hope, held close, not an official prediction. Over the years, I have become a little teeny bit bitter that my literary hero, Gary Paulsen has not received the critical awards I believe he deserves (though, to be fair, I don't think this lack of award truly bothers Mr. Paulsen). That's a different entry, though. In short, I am never right and have almost given up even venturing a guess. I don't like being wrong.

But, somehow, the opportunity to be wrong so publically!

I very rarely have an opinion about who should win the Caldecott Medal. I am not sure why this is. I love children's picture books. I certainly buy too many for my home collection each year! Yet, somehow, I tend not to have a strong opinion on who should (or should not) win. (That said, I was thrilled that Eric Rohmann -- Chicago Boy! -- won last year for My Friend Rabbit.)

This year, I actually have a picture book opinion. I think that 2004 may be a year when an illustrator is given the second award of his or her career. Peggy Rathman (The Day the Babies Crawled Away), Gerald McDermott (Creation), and Maurice Sendak (Brundibar) all have an excellent chance of winning, in my opinion, either the big prize or an honor.

I also like Don't Let the Pigeon Drive the Bus by Mo Willems. At first, I was just tickled by this tory -- it's fun and a great read-aloud. Over many readings, though, I began to believe that the art is exceptional in its simplicity that still conveys emotion (particularly the poor pigeon's frustration and dejection!). I also like Alice's Adventures in Wonderland in its Robert Sabuda incarnation, Harvesting Hope illustrated by Yuyi Morales, Action Jackson illustrated by Robert Andrew Parker, and Blues Journey illustrated by Christopher Myers. I think my favorite is When Everybody Wore a Hat by William Steig, but I don't trust myself much on that, because there may be some measure of sentimentality mixed in to that. (Can the award be given posthumously? I should look that up...)

I will have to think about the Newbery Medal a bit more before making my wrong predictions for that. Stay tuned!

No comments: