15 January 2004

Magic!

I will readily admit that, in my greed for Story, I do not always read critically. Rather, I read passionately and with great prejudice. I often "love" or (more rarely) "hate" a book and happily share my opinions with whomever will listen.

Last night, I finished a book that filled me up utterly. The Tale of Despereaux, by Kate DiCamillo, is one of those books that fills up every corner inside of me with joy and reminds me of how magical and amazing and crucial Story can be. It was a book that I just wanted to hug to my heart -- physically hug -- because it filled me and warmed me throughout like the kindest sun.

It contained wisdom on the nature of Story and love and forgiveness and the healing of broken hearts. I lent the library copy of this book to The Boy to read and have convinced many of my "grown up" friends to read it, too. And then I wanted to read it all over and so went to Borders today to purchase it. (I am on page 107 again. It's still magic.)

I am left lighter and better and deeply contented by this remarkable book.

No comments: