12 January 2004

Stupid Keanu

I was (shockingly) off this weekend, so I did a lot of reading and watched 4 or 5 films. The one I wanted to comment on, though, was Hardball with Keanu Reeves.

We watched it midday on Saturday. I figured it'd be a good day off movie -- sassy inner-city kids, baseball, valuable lessons learned by the guy who reluctantly helps them. I figured it would be formulaic, but fun.

No one told me it was a crying movie!

Yeah, fine, it probably isn't the best movie ever made. Yeah, it simplifies the complexities of inner-city childhood (or lack thereof) and almost deifies the white guy who learns to care for the kids. Yeah it got kind of crappy reviews.

All that aside, I way sucked into the film and sobbed right on cue. I'm not ashamed. It made me think, especially about the kids from my last job; it made me worry; it made me sad; it made me want to recommit to making a difference in the world.

So, while I was looking for a comedy on my day off, I guess I should ultimately thank Keanu and company.

No comments: