07 January 2004

Let him be a kid!

A mom just told me that she wants her two-year-old to start reading because he is "very advanced" and already knows all his letters. That may well be. (God knows I started reading when I was right around 3, so it is possible.)

BUT. I think if a child starts to read that early, it should be out of a personal love or drive or ineffable something that makes the child long for words and stories. In this case, when I suggested that she just continue to read with her child and encourage him when he recognized letters or words, she insisted that he is bright and "should" be reading now, since he is "almost three."

I know she wants what is best for her child, but I hope this isn't another child forever scared away from reading by an overzealous parent.

No comments: