14 February 2011

Axl's Favorite Cookies

First of all, I need to confess: when I learned that my Sweetheart had a dog, I wasn't entirely thrilled. I have always been more of a cat person and I wasn't excited about having to get up to let up a dog, dealing with scooping poop and all the rest.

But, then I met Axl.

He is now "my" puppy (while, ironically enough, the cat and I pretty much just tolerate each other). I completely adore him and am so happy that Tex will grow up with such a stalwart friend.

On our Honeymoon, I bought a dog bone shaped cookie cutter and decided I should make him homemade treats because he is so entirely awesome. I am not sure anymore where I got the recipe, but he loves them. In fact, since the first time I made these cookies for him, every time he hears the oven door creak open, he hightails it to the kitchen to see if I made him more cookies. (Seriously. My Sweetheart loves to show company this trick.)

I made a fresh batch last night (and cut one into a heart for his Valentine). You might want to make some for your pup, too. Here's the recipe:


Axl's Favorite Doggy Treats
  • 2 cups whole wheat flour
  • 1 cup rolled oats
  • 1/3 cup peanut butter (I always use smooth, although I imagine chunky would work, too)
  • 1- 1/4 cups hot water
  • May need a little additional flour for rolling out the dough.

1- Preheat oven to 350° F.
2- Mix dry ingredients together.
3- Mix in the peanut butter and hot water. You may need to add more flour if the dough is too sticky.
4- Knead the dough well.
5- Roll out the dough into 1/4" thickness and cut into shapes with dog cookie cutters (or whatever shape makes you and your puppy happy - cats, perhaps?).
6- Bake for 45 minutes or so on lightly greased cookie sheet (I always use parchment paper instead).
7- Let cookies cool completely on wire rack before giving one to your favorite puppy!
Because there are no preservatives, I always store these in the fridge. On occasion, I have made a double batch and then put half in a ziploc bag and keep them in the freezer until we need them. Axl has never complained, so I suppose that's working well!

No comments: