06 December 2003

Better than a shiny gold star sticker

This afternoon, a tenth grader came to the Reference desk to ask for help finding information on the Eastland disaster. I was kind of excited by this request, since I had stumbled across a phenomenal Eastland site earlier today while looking for info on the Iroquois Theatre fire for this very 'blog, so I showed her that and told her about some other materials we could borrow through interlibrary loan.

Her sister -- a child around 10 years of age -- was with her, listening to all of this. When I paused for a moment, she said, "Excuse me?" I thought maybe she wanted to find a book to occupy her time while I helped her sister, so I said, "Yes, Miss?"

She looked right at me and said, "You really love this job, don't you?" I was a little surprised by her question, but then I felt myself grin, and I answered her. "Yeah, I really do love my job. I think it's the best job in the world!"

And I do.

Later, when I thought about it, I decided that this was a good indication that I am doing something right. I feel that one of my strengths is my love for all things bookish and my passion for and absolute belief in the potential of the public library system. That a child was able to glean that from observing a brief transaction... well, that made me all warm and fuzzy and more than a wee bit proud that that love shines through.

No comments: