19 January 2011

Quoth the Raven...

Edgar Allan Poe was one of the very first authors I knew well and claimed as a favorite. My father had a beat-up paperback of some of the best-known poems and stories lying about the house and I devoured it at a tender age. I fell in love and remain in love with his poetry and prose lo these many years later. I have often thought that "Annabel Lee" would be a perfectly charming name for a little girl... (And, no, that isn't on the short list. For now.)

Today would have been Poe's 202nd birthday. After 60 years of acknowledgement, it appears that the "Poe Toaster" (what a silly nickname!) has ceased his or her visits.

Celebrate this unparalleled genius of American letters by reading a poem or story today, then listen to this reading of his best-known work.

No comments: