15 November 2003

Angst essen Seele auf

I watched Angst essen Seele auf (Ali: Fear Eats the Soul) for the second time last night. It made me angry and sad. Okay, so I know it was filmed almost 30 years ago, but it bothers me that it still seems possible. The way that Emmi's friends and family react to her new love just piss me off! And while I felt my blood begin to boil when Emmi herself made reference to Ali's "foreign mood," I could also sympathize with her pleasure at being graced with the presence of "friends" again. Still. At least the end of the film leaves some ray of hope shining through. I firmly believe that Emmi and Ali will pull through, that their love will survive, that the hurt people try to do them will be deflected by the armor of their love.

Yeah, I sound like a cornball, but that's what I believe.

I think Gram is gonna watch Ali while I am at work today. She got very upset at Leila. Wonder if she will excuse the idiots in this movie a smidge more because they are German? Huh. It'll be interesting to get her reaction.

No comments: