24 November 2003

Maybe it's just me...

... but it bothers me some that one of the libraries I work in has apparently turned the computer room into a shrine to Microsoft. I don't really have anything tremendous against Microsoft. I use their products and finally stopped disliking Bill Gates once I realized how much philanthropy he is engaging in. Yeah, he's got some kind of monopoly going, but so do other companies, and at least he isn't sitting on his piggy bank, kicking away anyone who might ask for a penny.

Still. I have this thing about openly advertising corporations in the public library setting. Again, maybe it's just me. Maybe this is perfectly acceptable and normal. But it is bothering me something fierce that there is now a large, framed poster for Windows Server 2003 (framed! None of our other posters are framed!) hanging in the computer room, along with several smaller framed homages to the wonder of the Gates Empire.

It just doesn't seem right, somehow...

No comments: