15 November 2003

I've been wondering...

Why do patrons keep thinking I will do their homework for them over the phone? And what delineates a clear line between answering a reference question and doing homework? And why do so many parents do their kids' homework for them? Many parents seem to want the A so badly that they don't realize that their child isn't getting the *education* that should go along with that grade. If your kid gets an A, but learns nothing, is that really better than if he gets a B or C but carries with him a lot of new information about his topic (or even -- heaven forbid! -- about how to study and gather information)? There were plenty of times when I maybe didn't get a good grade (mostly because I was lazy and my parents weren't gonna do my homework for me!), but still remember the lesson I was supposed to be learning.

No comments: