17 November 2003

What do you do when your produce is up to no damned good?

Okay. So my uncle turned 50 yesterday. When I was born, he pretended to my (very young) mother, that I had no legs (they were tucked underneath me) and freaked her out. When I was a little girl, I wanted to marry him. He played catch with me in my Gram's backyard and made me step on a bee! He did one of the best Kermit the Frog imitations I had ever heard. He's so swell that he is one of the only people on the planet who gets away with calling me "Kathy" (sometimes).

Well, the marriage thing didn't pan out and, y'know, that's cool. I like my aunt and, besides, I see now that we are way too different and it never would have worked. But I still love mine uncle, so I was at his party last night. It was a pretty good time. Lots of people there, yummy food.

After dinner, The Boy (my aunt and uncle are The Boy's parents) and I ran to Borders for neccessities : The New York Times (for the special kids' book section), The New Yorker (it's the cartoon issue -- for The Boy), Lies (and the Lying Liars Who Tell Them) by Al Franken (for me -- The Boy owed me a copy because Franken signed my copy of the book for The Boy), something else I don't remember, and how is this trip to Borders even relevant? It's not. Sorry.

So, mine uncle was unwrapping gifts and, I swear, I have NO IDEA how it came up, but the next thing you know, we are all sitting around talking about Attack of the Killer Tomataoes.

Yes, you heard me right: Attack. Of. The. Killer. Tomatoes.

Maybe it was just our family (in fact, I wouldn't be a bit surprised), but we loved this movie when we were growing up! LOVED it! We quoted it, hummed that damned "Puberty Love" song (as I type this, I can hear the lyrics awakening in my brain after a considerable hiatus and beginning to play), and did so proudly.

I was trying to tell my friend, Amy, about this last night and was shocked -- shocked, I tell you -- to learn that she had never heard of the movie.

I have already ordered all four (yes, there are four) killer tomato films through interlibrary loan and am seriously considering buying the DVD of the first film. I don't know what's wrong with me! Maybe during my formative years the tomatoes infiltrated my brain!

Whatever. Just thinking about seeing these films again is making me giggle.

No comments: