22 November 2003

The Dewey Decimal System of Love

First of all, it's a great title.

The Dewey Decimal System of Love by Josephine Carr.

(Somehow, I keep hearing this title intoned by The Tick. And no, I don't want to know what that says about me.)

After hearing the title, I was pretty much obliged to seek out the book. I didn't have high hopes, but the title was a siren song.

Actually, it wasn't half-bad. I liked the librarian. I liked the love story. Even the mystery (kinda) subplot worked for me. In fact, now that I have returned my copy to the library, I'm thinking I'll buy it. I'm all about anything library related, so long as it doesn't suck.

And this book didn't suck. It was pretty darned entertaining.

(Boy! I get more eloquent every day!)

One of my favorite things about the book was the way every chapter opened with advice about which Dewey number to consult for different concerns. As much as I loved this part, it did lead to one concern on my part.

I hope OCLC doesn't sue her.

No comments: